Karen is working toward her PhD, focused on evaluating risk management programs for drinking water suppliers, including water quality and public health impacts. Her primary research interests include the science-policy interface, scale-up of evidence-based practices, risk management, appropriate (e.g., ecological, sustainable, or low-resource) technologies, and decision-support tools for water and sanitation. She previously studied Environmental Biology at the University of Dayton and earned a Master’s in Environmental Science and Management specializing in Water Resources Management from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Her group project focused on implementation of sustainable water resources practices in a peri-urban region of Chiapas, Mexico. Karen also volunteered with Engineers Without Borders in Araypallpa, Peru and worked for several years as a science writer at the Southern California Coastal Water Research Project, prior to joining UNC.
- Water Safety Planning: measuring gains and implementing effective practices
- Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) global research agenda
- WHO Evidence-to-Decision framework for complex interventions: assessing the views of those using WHO guidelines in Uganda
- Evaluation of Risk Management Frameworks and Tools for US Source Waters
Selected Research Products
- Comparative evaluation of risk management frameworks for US source waters. 2019. K Setty, R Raucher, R McConnell, and J Bartram. AWWA Water Science. doi.10.1002/aws2.1125.
- Capacity building and training approaches for water safety plans: A comprehensive literature review. Giuliana Ferrero, Karen Setty, Bettina Rickert, Shannan George, Angella Rinehold, Jennifer DeFrance and Jamie Bartram. 2019. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2019.01.011.
- Global water, sanitation, and hygiene research priorities and learning challenges under Sustainable Development Goal 6. Karen Setty, K, J Willetts, A Jimenez, M Leifels, and J Bartram. Development Policy Review.doi: 10.1111/dpr.12415.
- Assessing operational performance benefits of a Water Safety Plan implemented in southwestern France. Karen Setty, G O’Flaherty, J Enault, S Lapouge, JF Loret, and J Bartram. 2018. Perspectives in Public Health, Volume 138, Issue 5: 270-278. doi: 10.1177/1757913918787846.
- Time series study of weather, water quality, and acute gastroenteritis at Water Safety Plan implementation sites in France and Spain. Karen Setty, J Enault, JF Loret, CP Serra, JM Alonso, and J Bartram. 2018. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, Volume 221, Issue 4: 714-726. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2018.04.001.
- Water quality, performance, and health outcomes among utilities implementing Water Safety Plans in France and Spain. Karen Setty, G Kayser, JM Bowling, JF Loret, J Enault, CP Serra, JM Alonso, AP Mateu, and J Bartram. 2017. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, Volume 220, Issue 3: 513-530. doi:10.1016/j.ijheh.2017.02.004.